Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Hell has officially frozen over

Yes, it is official Hell has frozen over. How can a place that gets as hot as 120 degrees in the summer get 4" of snow in the winter? The better question is why did I leave the snow in Utah for a city that shuts down completely with only a few inches?
This was what it looked like initially, not too bad right....


Let me start this off by saying I HATE THE SNOW!! It was fun this past weekend at the cabin (a separate blog will be posted for that) because we knew we weren't going anywhere and I knew that I wouldn't have to clean off my windshield or warm up a cold car :). Imagine my shock when I look out my office window and it's snowing. Imagine my horror as the palm tree branches take on more and more snow and wilt before my eyes.
These were taken about an hour later, still not too bad....


No sooner had I realized I wasn't in a dream than the news reports started coming in about the worst storm to hit Vegas in 30 years. The City of Henderson sent all of it's employees home at 3:00pm, my son's basketball practice was canceled and highways were completely shut down. For four inches, you might ask, that sounds crazy! It is crazy but remember we are in a desert and have a better understanding of how to keep cool than we do warm. There aren't enough snow plows here to handle everything. McCarran airport has been shut down most of the day and the sky still looks ominous.
And finally, it is STILL snowing and this is getting worse by the minute.


Since it also rarely rains we don't handle huge amounts of water any better than we do snow. Well now I hear the rain is coming and is going to melt all this snow. There is now a severe winter storm warning in effect as well as a flash flood warning. ONLY IN VEGAS!! :)
It was a long and slow drive.


On the up side this was GOOD snow! It packed like you wouldn't believe and my son will be the first to tell you that the snowballs were great though they really hurt when they hit. It is predicted that all schools will be shut down tomorrow though we won't know for sure until morning. Dae'Shawn is hoping school is out and he and his buddies can have a snowball fight. His best friends birthday was today and he has never seen snow before, this was a birthday he will surely never forget.

My regret, that Maliek is in Utah playing in their snow and missing out on the opportunity of a lifetime to make a snowman in Vegas. He would have loved today, I could already hear him talking about it and I can see his face lighting up and those eyes sparkling when he realized that he was going to make a snowman at his own house and not grandma's. Chin up Maliek, if this keeps up your brother will most certainly get you in the ear with a snowball! LOL

No comments: